Artists for Social Change and the Sojourner Truth House have issued a call for artists, musicians, sponsors, and donations for an upcoming event at Milwaukee’s Historic Turner Hall. Empowerment Through Expression will be a two-day art and music festival scheduled for April 22 and 23. Featured performers already scheduled include Wade Fernandez, the Milkman, Clementine, The Panic, Eighty D, Tweeter, Power of Word poetry and more. Other features will include kapoera, breakdancing, live art, installation/environmental art, a silent auction, strolling performers, jewelry and fashion and a full bar. For more information, visit the web site. Milwaukee Artists for Social Change (MASC) was founded in 2004 by a group of artists, performers and social activists concerned with the decrease of funding in art education, the uneven distribution of the art community in Milwaukee, and the growing lack of interest in the power of art as a tool for social justice. The mission of MASC is to provide Milwaukee’s youth and developing artists with studio facilities and after-school arts enrichment programs to cultivate community, expand the Milwaukee art scene, and get kids off the streets. The group hope to accomplish their goals in two ways; educational fundraising events, and the MASC House. Events are art and music based rallies to benefit charities, promote student artwork, while teaching and exploring issues of community and social justice. These benefits will also lead to the development of community centers and art programs within existing Milwaukee centers. The goals of MASC include:
- -The reduction of gang activity and street violence.
- -Providing a positive environment for children to explore their own creativity.
- -Improve social relations and communication skills among multicultural youth in an open and accepting atmosphere.
- -Expand and diversify Milwaukee’s current art scene.
- -Use art and music to teach positive values in the community.
- -Incubate the careers of young artists.
- Contact MASC at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com.